Relax & Read: The Faster I Walk, the Smaller I Am

25 Oct

If you’re an avid reader, chances are you spend A LOT of your free time in bookstores (or on your Kindle, buying novels), and if you go to the bookstore A LOT, you probably have that one favorite section you always find yourself drawn to.

New Authors is the first section I go to.

Maybe it’s because I’m an author myself, hoping to debut in a bookstore one day in the future, or maybe it’s because I feel like that’s a great place to find the latest treasure, waiting to be found. Debut novels challenge me, forcing me to read outside of my normal spectrum and surprising me with new writing techniques. For whatever reason, reading debut novels never disappoints me, and today is the anniversary of one of my favorites:

Kjersti A. Skomsvold’s first novel, The Faster I Walk, the Smaller I Am, was gifted to me one year ago today, and I still remember it.

Mathea Marthinsen, an elderly woman living only for her longevity, wakes up one morning and realizes she may die without ever having lived. In this realistic debut, Mathea will force readers to face the inevitable death and the meaning of mortality.

I definitely suggest this novel, because it’s an example of difference in every day literature and today’s world, along with culture (this novel is Norwegian) and writing styles. However, I can understand that the topic of death isn’t for everyone. If that is the case, then I HIGHLY encourage you to go to the New Author section in your local bookstore and find another novel to read.

Just try it. Really. You might learn something AND walk away loving a brand-new author.

Read more about Skomsvold’s novel here.

7 Responses to “Relax & Read: The Faster I Walk, the Smaller I Am”

1. Vishy October 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Nice post, Shannon! The ‘New Authors’ section is really wonderful. I love going there everytime I go to a bookstore. I have discovered so many new-to-me writers because of the time I have spent there. Kjersti A. Skomsvold’s book looks quite fascinating. Thanks for telling us about it.

2. picturemereading October 25, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

I liked the sound of this book and the cover!

3. kelihasablog October 25, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Thank you for stopping by my blog to read my poetry. I do appreciate your time very much. Good luck with your writing & books… I’ll check in periodically… : )

4. Philadelphia Stories, Junior October 25, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Reblogged this on Philadelphia Stories, Junior.

5. P. C. Zick October 26, 2012 at 5:09 am #

Shannon, Very nice. I’m thankful for fellow writers such as you who make every effort to support authors, particularly newbies. Thank you.

6. yhosby October 26, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

Hey Shannon,
    Wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Lovely Blog award. http://yawattahosby.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/one-lovely-blog-award

Keep smiling,
    Yawatta

7. sterlingsop October 28, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Since I got my Kindle I tend to read more new authors than I did when I was buying paper books and I have found some real gems in the free downloads available from Amazon. I think the ebook reader has done an awful lot of good for new authors as it has given them a new “in” on the market and we the reader get to get our hands on books we want to read rather than the ones the publishing houses want us to. It’s exciting times for new authors!