Movie Mention: Mama

23 Jan

I loved reading about all of your writing spaces on my last post. It’s interesting to see our similarities and differences as readers and writers, and I’ll be sure to find other aspects of our lives we can share soon. But, today, I wanted to suggest a movie to see this weekend!

1-Mama-PosterLast night, I saw Guillermo del Toro‘s new horror movie, Mama.

After five years, Lucas’ nieces, Victoria and Lilly, are found abandoned in the woods, and no one can understand how two little girls survived the harsh elements. Hoping to give them a home again, Lucas and his girlfriend, Annabel, take in the disturbed children–but the girls are more troubled than they could image, and it wasn’t the forest that changed them.

Not to toot my own horn (I’m sure you all are the same, as avid writers and readers seem to have a knack for it), but I’m normally really good at guessing plots, and I didn’t see the ending coming.

As always, the producer of Pan’s Labyrinth and Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark delicately creates a twisted backstory for a complete and unique horror experience. If you’re looking for a scary movie to go see with friends, go out to the movies and watch this flick. You won’t be disappointed.

Check out trailer via IMDb here.

17 Responses to “Movie Mention: Mama”

1. Arleigh January 23, 2013 at 12:35 am #

Yeah, that ending was definitely not your typical Hollywood horror film ending. Funny how some people thought it was a bad ending. I guess people always complaining about how there’s never anything original in horror films would balk at something very original.

2. kenthinksaloud January 23, 2013 at 12:47 am #

Sounds great! I loved Pan’s Labyrinth so I will check this movie out soon. Thanks for the heads up! :)

3. elizjamison January 23, 2013 at 5:11 am #

I got your book in the mail yesterday!!! So excited to start reading it.

• Shannon Thompson January 23, 2013 at 6:05 am #

Good to hear! I hope it arrived safely and quickly.

4. wordschat January 23, 2013 at 5:57 am #

l didn’t see the end coming either and loved the look of it. For once the style augmented the substance. Check my review. Cheers on a 40 below zero morning!

• Shannon Thompson January 23, 2013 at 6:06 am #

WOW! That’s cold.
      We’re having a very mild winter here, and I’m checking out your review now.

5. Emma January 23, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

Haven’t heard of this one but it sounds so eerie.

6. Jeff January 23, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

Haven’t seen it yet, but really want to.

7. Katie Checkley January 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

Sounds spooky…I normally don’t watch horror movies, but this seems intriguing

8. 52 weeks January 24, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

On my list to see – thanks for the recommendation!

9. yhosby January 25, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

You should tell me the ending. Now, I’ve gotta know LOL. I love horror movies, but I’m too chicken to watch them on the big screen. I wait ’til the DVDs come out.

Keep smiling,
    Yawatta

• Shannon Thompson January 25, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

I would over email but not on the website (I’d hate to accidentally spoil it for someone).
      It’s really good :D I normally wait for DVD too because movies are so expensive, and I don’t have a lot of free time to go to the theaters.

10. talespinsbooks January 25, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

That movie was made based on a 2-minute short film. Crazy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRqS6pBC42w

• Shannon Thompson January 26, 2013 at 9:17 am #

WOW! Thanks for sharing! It’s crazy, because, if you’ve seen the movie, you know exactly what scene this is.

11. stephsgrn February 4, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

Thanks for this review!! I really want to see this, but I wasn’t sure if it would really be as scary as the preview shows, or just stupid..

1. Movie Mention: Mama « Wyndy Dee - January 23, 2013