Movie Mention: Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

29 Jan

It’s phenomenal. End of story. Seriously.hansel-gretel-witch-hunters-tops-weekend-box-office

I saw this Sunday night, and I couldn’t get over how fantastic every bit of it was. The characters are rounded–they’re, not only believable, but they complement one another tremendously. Jeremy Renner is a perfect sarcastic killer, while Gemma Arterton reclassifies the badass heroine every fantasy tale deserves. The movie, unlike many, isn’t full of cheesy CGI, but, instead, the characters are carefully constructed with beautifully (I should say “purposely ugly”) done makeup.

I would warn you, though, that the movie is much more gory than I expected it to be. (It is, however, rated R.) Gore doesn’t bother me, so I still enjoyed the flick a lot, but it’s definitely not for young children.

After being tortured by a witch in the woods, Hansel and Gretel devote their lives to hunting other witches, even if their lives are centered in the danger.

Watch the trailer here. (And, if you’re going to the movies, this one is worth considering.)

P.S I have exciting news about a reading/writing event coming soon!

28 Responses to “Movie Mention: Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters”

1. willowdiamond January 29, 2013 at 12:16 am #

Really? Every review I’ve seen says it’s horrible.

• Shannon Thompson January 29, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

I really enjoyed it, but I could see how some people wouldn’t like it because it wasn’t what they expected. Like I said, it’s a lot more gory than the previews made it look like, and it’s less concentrated on the original fairy tale, so critics might be comparing it to fairy tale retellings like “Once Upon a Time” (which I also like, but it’s different than the aspects in this movie)

2. Liberty of Thinking January 29, 2013 at 2:28 am #

Looks like Van Helsing got a team mate! Two favourite character actors, looking fwd to it!
    Thanks Shannon, and awaiting beyond the P.S…

• Shannon Thompson January 29, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

That’s what my friend said. It’s very much Van Helsing-type style.

3. Liberty of Thinking January 29, 2013 at 2:35 am #

Aw, sorry Shannon, just watched the trailer and looks like the team mate got a Van Helsing, ha, ha,!
    Rom

4. P. C. Zick January 29, 2013 at 4:17 am #

You’ve been nominated for the Reality Blogger Award. Details are here: http://pczick.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/reality-blogger-award/

5. mrsgillies January 29, 2013 at 6:10 am #

Oh i have been looking forward to that movie! Fantastic to hear it was good. However i’m not very good with gore…

• Shannon Thompson January 29, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

The gore is prominent.
      I’m unsure how you’ll like it if gore is bothersome, but my friend and I don’t mind it, so I haven’t spoken to anyone who doesn’t like gore who’s seen it, so I am unsure how it effects viewers like that.
      Let me know if you see it!

• Shannon Thompson January 29, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Let me know if you see it!

• mrsgillies June 29, 2013 at 8:40 am #

Hey! It finally came out in Australia and i watched it! I enjoyed it and some of the gore bothered me and other parts didn’t. I think the human gore disturbed me however the witches’ gore didn’t. Like when the witches are all gathered together and they are fighting, that didn’t bother me, in fact i laughed!

• Shannon Thompson June 29, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

That’s interesting how one gore can feel different than another! Glad you finally got to see it.

6. jimgramze January 29, 2013 at 7:28 am #

Your writeup really makes me want to go see that. If only it weren’t on the other side of the door, that place between inside and outside. I will keep it in mind for once it is viewable inside. A shame my wife can’t handle violence or suspense. As a young girl the flying monkeys in the movie Wizard of Oz gave her nightmares for six months!

7. wordschat January 29, 2013 at 9:03 am #

Hey Shannon thnx for the review. Did you find the 3D added to it or can a shave a few bucks to see it regular?

• Shannon Thompson January 29, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

I saw the regular. I’ve never been into 3D, so I couldn’t tell you how the 3D was.

8. Michelle Proulx January 29, 2013 at 10:54 am #

When I first saw the trailer, I thought it looked kind of stupid, to be honest. But now I’m hearing great things about it, so I guess I should go check it out :) Don’t get me wrong, I love fairy tales — but after the debacle that was Snow White and the Huntsman, I’ve been wary of fairy tale movies.

• Shannon Thompson January 29, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

If I had to compare it to Snow White and the Huntsman, I’d saw Hansel & Gretel blew it away.
      I saw both in theaters, and I remember being unable to take Snow White and the Huntsman seriously (and this was before the scandal broke out), but Hansel & Gretel entertained me through the end.
      It’s very Vans Helsing though.

9. Emma January 29, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

It hasn’t come out here yet, but I can’t wait to go see it, if only to stare dreamily at Jeremy Renner :)

10. Crissi Langwell January 29, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Thank you! I have been wanting to watch this since I first heard of it. And then the reviews came out and they all said it was a waste of time. So I put it off in disappointment. While I’m a bit squeamish about gore, your positive review breathed new life into it for me. I’m going to have to go see it. :-)

11. picturemereading January 29, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

I really liked this movie and I totally agree on this “Gemma Arterton reclassifies the badass heroine every fantasy tale deserves”!

12. A Dog With Fleas January 29, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

This is on my list of movies to go see. Love Jeremy Renner….so that in and of itself has me sold!! Glad you loved it!

13. Jeff January 29, 2013 at 9:34 pm #

Thanks for the review. I’m looking forward to seeing this one.

14. jqtrotter January 29, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

I was on the edge about this movie. The concept seemed silly to me but I like the actors in this movie. I think I’ll actually give it a go this weekend now.

15. Dorlana January 30, 2013 at 7:25 am #

I’ve been looking forward to this movie – love fairy tale retellings of any kind and this one looks fun.

16. lyndaanning January 31, 2013 at 12:27 am #

i can’t watch anything with gore so will give it a miss but thanks for the review shannon.

17. GaryLee828 February 1, 2013 at 1:27 am #

I may have to go check this out, but I certainly hope it’s better than Van Helsing! You should read my latest review on “The Last Exorcism” on my blog page. :)

18. rwgoldsmith February 1, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

This one is at the top of my “Take my daughter to the movies” list.
    Btw, thanks for checking out my blog–Z

19. cricketmuse February 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

Just watched Bourne Legacy with Jeremy Renner and thought it a great Saturday night flick. Some violence, of course, little swearing, no sex, and an intelligent plotline. Please, Hollywood, make more movies like this!