Writing Tips: Different Perspectives

31 Mar

On March 17th post: News: Submissions Closing and Minutes Before Sunset Info one of my followers, rolark, asked “I’m trying out writing from more than one perspective right now (it’s my first time!), and was wondering if you had any advice?”

And I do!

As many of you know, November Snow is told from two perspectives (Daniel and Serena) while my upcoming paranormal-romance novel, Minutes Before Sunset will also be told this way (by Eric and Jessica.) I love using this technique for novel writing, because I enjoy first person, but I dislike how it restricts the storytelling to one character during particular scenes that may be told better by another.

So I use first person by two people—generally one male and one female. Why? Because I generally have a romance aspect to my stories, but I also think men and women can bring different viewpoints to the table. (But so can every character–this is a personal preference of mine.)

One of the coolest part of writing is when one of your fans creates something for you. This is fan art from a novel of mine on my previous Wattpad account. Sophia and Noah, my male and female protagonists.

I love it when fans creates something from my writings. This is fan art from a novel of mine on my previous Wattpad account. Sophia and Noah, my male and female protagonists.

Personally, this is what I do (although 3 comes first, but it’s the longest part), and I’ll be using November Snow as an example:

1. Consider Syntax.

Change it up. One character’s thoughts may drag on, so the sentences are longer or dragged out, while another may make lists or sporadic lengths of thoughts. Consider using italics, colons, and/or dashes for one character.

Ex/ Daniel is often exhausted, so I used shorter sentences to depict his energy state. Serena’s sentences are longer. This allows the voices to seem different in the basic way they think.

2. Pay Attention to Diction.

One character may use very flowery language, while another may have less of a need to elaborate.

Ex/ Daniel is very patient, but also anxious (especially when walking around Vendona, considering the government is after his kind.) So I always have his eyes darting around. He’s constantly surveying his surroundings, paying attention to the little details, and often loses his thoughts to the physical world. His language, therefore, does the same thing.

Serena is rebellious. She’s tired of conforming to the rules and hiding, so she’s often taking risks she shouldn’t be taking. Because of this, I don’t pay attention to as many details when I wrote from her perspective. She no longer cares. Instead, she’s focused on changing, so I show more details about relationships, people, and the future within her language.

3. Now Perspective.

Now, I’m about to use a gender stereotype to explain where I’m coming from, but it’s for an example. You’re welcome to swap them around for different effects.

Men may pay attention more to physical action than detail, while women may focus on the little details. For instance, a man may describe someone running, while a woman may mention the fact that the runner was in jeans. These little switches in descriptions between your perspectives will help create a realistic viewpoint in the sense that it’s subconsciously differing from one person to the other. The character doesn’t even consider it; it’s simply a part of how they look at the world.

One of my favorite exercises:

Write a chapter in which the two characters are talking. Let’s say this chapter is written from Daniel’s. Afterwards, whether I decide to use it or not, I’ll write it from Serena’s. Make sure the dialogue and the physical actions are the exact same, but compare the thought process. How did the scene change? What does this change mean?

As an example, two people can be talking and Person A could notice Person B is fidgeting. Person A may assume Person B is nervous, but, when you tell it from Person B’s perspective, you learn that they are distracted, not nervous. These little bits can truly morph the way characters interact. I always encourage this exercise, even if the writer isn’t planning on telling from another’s perspective.

This always helps me understand the consciousness of the characters, and I feel more confident when I move onto a new scene.

You can always post questions for quick answers on my Facebook Author Page! Joining also helps me out, and I really appreciate the support :]

My hope is that this may help rolark and other writers who want to play with this technique, but I also want to encourage others to ask questions.

I will always do my best to answer! (And you will get credit for asking the question.)

Have a great day,

April 2nd: Writing Tips: Make Maps (Interior)

25 Responses to “Writing Tips: Different Perspectives”

1. lpaigewrites March 31, 2013 at 12:25 am #

I loved the way you mentioned not only the importance of what you write in the sentences, but also the way in which you write them. Very good advice that is often overlooked!

• Shannon Thompson March 31, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Thank you :] I love syntax as much as diction, and I also think it’s often overlooked.

2. Women’s fiction is generally written in first person and often with multiple POV. Normally the POV characters are separated into there own chapters. I’ll begin posting weekly book reviews on Thu of each week and will be providing examples of both commercial and literary fiction.

• qqnqui March 31, 2013 at 12:56 am #

Reading this post, I kept thinking that I can’t stand first person POV generally and I couldn’t figure out why I felt that way. There’s no real critical reason to dislike it over other POVs. Then I read your comment, and I realized it’s because first person POV is seen as a typically “feminine” style. How awful to be typecast in that way.

3. sarcasticandsilly March 31, 2013 at 4:59 am #

Reblogged this on My Personal Bookshelf and commented:
    Very useful tips – dual viewpoints can really bring a book alive!

• Shannon Thompson March 31, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

Thank you for sharing this with your followers!

• sarcasticandsilly April 1, 2013 at 3:22 am #

You’re welcome, it was very useful, thank you!

4. promiscuouswriter March 31, 2013 at 11:03 am #

Reblogged and shared on my FB fan page. Excellent post!

5. mandilynnwrites March 31, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

I love novels with different perspectives, though if you don’t do it right it can get confusing. There was one book I read where every chapter it changed perspective so it could be a bit jumbled but I’ve also seen another novel that had the name of the character who’s perspective it was on the top hand corner (where the author or book’s title would normally be).

• Shannon Thompson March 31, 2013 at 7:10 pm #

“November Snow” does both of those things. It begins with the date and the name of the person’s perspective, and it also has the name at the top of the page.
      I have to admit, it’s so hard formatting that!

• Piscis April 27, 2013 at 11:35 pm #

Using running titles to indicate the perspective character? That’s…actually kind of brilliant! I’ve often considered doing a multi-first-person work, and that sounds like a pretty elegant solution for keeping the characters straight without awkward headings or sacrificing chapter titles.

I suppose it wouldn’t work so well in reflowable eBook conversions, though…hrm.

6. Ky Grabowski March 31, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Reblogged this on Ky Grabowski and commented:
    Shannon is an accomplished writer, and a beautiful person inside and out! I have to share this as her writing tips of different perspectives is wonderful. I completely thought about my own style of writing and thinking about characters I’ve written. It will open your eyes to being more aware of your characters when you write which will unlock more possibilities for you as a writer. Check Shannon out as well; she’s a gem!

• Shannon Thompson April 1, 2013 at 8:10 am #

Awwww ::blush:: thank you for sharing and your sweet-as-sugar comment.

• Ky Grabowski April 2, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Your welcome :) It was all true ! Keep up the amazing work Shannon :D

7. sudebaker March 31, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

Nice tips! Thanks. How exciting to be published :) Thanks also for the follow.

8. johncoyote April 1, 2013 at 1:03 am #

Very good advice. Writing is a on going learning experience. Thank you.

9. kenthinksaloud April 1, 2013 at 1:38 am #

Solid advice here Shannon!

10. L. Marie April 1, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Great tips! I love how mixing the perspectives of two characters widens the scope of a book. And how cool that your book has fan art!

1. Worldbuilding and other writer/reader links | Fraser Sherman's Blog - April 21, 2013

[...] industry analysist predicted there’d never been a market for such things. •Shannon Thompson on switching perspectives when switching POV characters. •One of the major obstacles to reselling [...]

2. MJ on Writing: Viewpoint Tips and Tricks | Author M.J. Kane - April 21, 2013

[...] Writing Tips: Different Perspectives (shannonathompson.com) [...]

3. My Year in Review | Shannon A Thompson - January 2, 2014

[…] 3. Writing Tips: Different Perspectives 22 comments. March, 2013 […]

4. Writing Tips: Different Perspectives | Michelle Rene Goodhew's Blog - January 6, 2014

[…] Writing Tips: Different Perspectives. […]

5. It’s All About Perspective … Or Is It? | Shannon A Thompson - January 29, 2014

[…] to mention that she was the only one who wanted to tell the story. (Most of my stories are told in dual first-person perspectives, so it was unusual for my male protagonist to stay quiet.) Plus, there were events that happened […]