Sharing Childhood Inspiration

26 Jun
This is what I looked like when I wrote this book.

This is what I looked like when I wrote this book.

Website Update: Minutes Before Sunset is falling behind on Goodreads Book of the Month. Please vote if you haven’t already. I could really use your help! Vote here

As writers, we’ve held the dream of writing for a long time. Finding out an author started writing at a very young age happens more often than not, and I think that’s something important to look into. It’s interesting to think that we, as children, may have understood our passion better than we do now (or with less questioning, because we didn’t understand everything we’d have to go through in order to chase our dreams.) But, theoretically, can’t we bring back our passion in moments of doubt by returning to our childhood in order to remember the simple joy we felt before the pressures of a career?

On Father’s Day, my brother and his fiancé were looking for pictures to use in their wedding, and my dad decided to bring up two boxes my late mother left behind. She made these boxes for my brother and I for when we had kids, but we decided to open them up early for my brother’s wedding, and it was an amazingly beautiful collection of childhood clothes, art, and pictures.

That’s when I found it:

get-attachment.aspx

Two books I wrote as a child, which were printed by Crabapple Crossing Book Publishing.

I wanted to share one today, because it brought me back to those moments before I even knew what publishing was, and I hope sharing something I wrote when I was in second grade might encourage you to look back and see how far you’ve come!

So “Max & Milo” is about two dogs having a birthday party before they move away and become pen pals with all of20130625_141947 their old friends. I found it pretty amusing (but interesting) because I had two dogs at the time (yes, they were named Max and Milo) and I also moved around a lot. Strangely enough, this follows the “Write what you know” tip that’s very common for beginning writers. I wish I could say I understood the “Show. Don’t Tell” rule at this age, but I think most of this was described through the pictures I drew. And, no, I’ve never been an artist, so the drawings amused me. (Apparently, the world was in x-ray vision.)

But what is the most encouraging part about looking back on these things?

20130625_142739

I’ve achieved the dream I’ve strived for since I was seven, and I continue to do better every day.

It was a great experience shifting through my childhood box to see what I could find that my memory didn’t remember as clearly as I thought. Not to mention how funny it was for my brother and I to compare things with one another.

Here’s to hoping this childhood post brings inspiration for other writers to look back on their goals, dreams, and creations to see how long the passion has been there, continue forward with encouragement, and/or to simply be amused by the lessons of life.

My plan is to continue posting writing tips this week, but my cousin is getting married! (Yay!) So I might get busier than I think. I will surely keep everyone updated, and I wanted to remind everyone to vote for Minutes Before Sunset as Book of the Month on Goodreads. We’re still in first place (Thank you!) at 46 votes, but I’d love to hit 50 (those number marks always make me spin in circles of happiness.)

Vote here, and thank you for all the special birthday wishes! I had a great time. I went to a Japanese Steakhouse with my brother, his fiancé, my dad, and my boyfriend. It was a lot of fun, and the picture is a rice heart with “22” written on top for me. It was sweet. They also gave me chopsticks, and I got to see my friends afterwards. Couldn’t have been happier with all the supportive people in my life :D

1017597_2039394703165_871685674_n

June 28: Last Day to Vote

July 1: Winners

July 3: Holidays in Writing

18 Responses to “Sharing Childhood Inspiration”

1. kkline922 June 26, 2013 at 1:13 am #

What a lovely and amazing gift your mother left behind! I too think of my childhood often and wish I had maintained the clarity and passion I held then through my adult life. I think it’s spectacular you’ve held onto your goals and have driven to accomplish them at your age. It wasn’t until I was 30 that I really found my passion. Keep going and never let go ; )

• Shannon Thompson June 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

I’m glad you enjoyed it! I hope other readers take this post like you did :] I’m just hoping to bring that childhood hope back to others. Thank you for your compliments too. You’re very encouraging. I’m working hard!

2. Mridubala June 26, 2013 at 1:37 am #

Congratulations Shannon for turning your dream into a reality going after your passion!Carry on!
    If possible please check my ‘Resilience’, thanks

• Shannon Thompson June 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

Thank you :] And I will see what I can do! I’m checking out two other things right now, but I should have more free time coming up eventually.

• Mridubala June 27, 2013 at 1:01 am #

Okay Shannon. It is a short story, would take only some 3-4 minutes, hope you will read and give feedback there :-)

• Shannon Thompson June 27, 2013 at 1:53 am #

Sure! I will tomorrow :]

• Mridubala June 27, 2013 at 2:25 am #

:-)

• Shannon Thompson June 27, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

I tried to comment, but it wouldn’t let me, but here:
        “After reading it and the comments, it seems the things I thought (like more description) have already been explained as purposeful style. I do think it needs polishing, but I think you have a funny twist at the end that brings a unique story.”

• Mridubala June 28, 2013 at 1:21 am #

Thanks Shannon for reading and commenting! Much appreciated.
        Yes, editing I always needs bad and I hate doing it :-(
        But glad you liked the twist, thanks again :-D

• Shannon Thompson June 28, 2013 at 1:22 am #

You’re welcome!

3. Val Vogel June 26, 2013 at 5:17 am #

This was a nice story to wake up to, here in Dallas for a “grown up” conference. Your beautiful reminder of the hopes and dreams and memories of childhood was refreshing!

• Shannon Thompson June 26, 2013 at 2:22 pm #

Aw. Your words were so nice to wake up to! I’m glad they were refreshing, and I hope your conference is going well.

4. Jilanne Hoffmann June 26, 2013 at 10:56 am #

May your birthdays just keep getting better and your dreams grow bigger each day!

• Shannon Thompson June 26, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

:D Shucks. Thank you! That is very kind. And, of course, right back at yah ;]

5. Tuan Ho June 26, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

Wow! That rice heart is soooooooooooooo awesome! :)

6. TMisschelle June 30, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

I can relate. Great story :)

1. Throwaway Lines | Vevacha - June 26, 2013

[…] reading this post about childhood inspiration on Shannon A. Thompson’s blog, it got me to thinking about one of the earliest Rules of Writing I ever learnt, from my dad: Never […]

2. Books That Changed My Childhood | Shannon A Thompson - August 27, 2014

[…] This was actually inspired by Cassandra Clare’s video Books That Changed My Life. I started compiling a list when…well, like any avid reader would say, it got a little out of control, so I condensed it down to times in my life, and I thought it would be fun to show the books that changed my childhood. Why is this important? I’m a big believer in going backwards. For instance, if you’re a writer and struggling with writing, I think going backwards to a time where you only wrote for fun can help remind you why you love writing in the first place. (But that’s explained in my old post Sharing Childhood Inspiration.) […]