Movie Mention: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

18 Oct

Well—I was FINALLY able to see this wonderful movie, even though I had to drive 40 minutes to find a theatre that was playing it here in Kansas. (I swear these things don’t normally happen in the Midwest—contrary to popular belief, we do have a lot to do for entertainment.)

And for those of you who have been following me for a while, you know how much I loved the book, so I was really worried that the movie wouldn’t be as good since a lot of movie adaptations aren’t. However, the movie was brilliant! Thanks to Stephen Chbosky, the author of The Perks of Being a Wallflower, also being the author of the screenplay, and the director of this film, I think this movie depicted his work magnificently. (Although I still think the book is much better emotionally.)

Emma Watson, although fantastic, wasn’t how I pictured the character, Sam, but I do think she did a great job making Sam her own. Also, for those who have read the novel, the big surprise at the end of the book of course cannot be shown on the big screen, but Chbosky found a unique way to transition such a traumatic topic to the movie screen without making the audience uncomfortable.

So—if you love the novel, but you were avoiding this movie, because you were afraid of it ruining the book, don’t!

Go watch The Perks of Being a Wallflower movie, and whether you read the novel or not, this coming-of-age tale is for all ages, and will keep you feeling infinite afterwards.

Watch the trailer here.

Read what I had to say about the book here.

Check out the novel via Barnes & Noble here.

11 Responses to “Movie Mention: The Perks of Being a Wallflower”

1. ahavlicek October 18, 2012 at 7:10 am #

Excellent writing on the movie. I’m so sick of people either totally reviewing it or “spoiling it.” I have read the book and I wasn’t interested in seeing the movie, but I guess I will thanks to your “movie mention.”

• Shannon Thompson October 18, 2012 at 7:11 am #

You should! And if you want more details (like spoilers or anything) don’t hesitate to email me via my contact page

2. Cody October 18, 2012 at 9:09 am #

I thought it was a great film as well. The novel’s essence felt successfully transferred to film. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that Stephen Chbosky wrote the screenplay and I believe he directed as well. Talk about artistic control. lol

• Shannon Thompson October 18, 2012 at 9:26 am #

I wish more authors would practice that artistic control. The movies seem much better when they do.

• Cody October 18, 2012 at 9:29 am #

Of course. But remember, largely, popular film has far more to do with entertainment than it has to do with art. Entertainment is far more profitable than art.

• Shannon Thompson October 18, 2012 at 10:10 am #

You are correct even though I find that unfortunate

• Cody October 18, 2012 at 10:13 am #

It just means we must work harder to change the idea that film is entertainment before art.

3. Joycelyn October 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

Loved it! book and movie = perfect! 🙂

4. ozonenut October 20, 2012 at 1:05 am #

I so rarely see a film which compares favourably with the original book – glad to hear it can happen!

5. pwettyfly October 20, 2012 at 2:16 am #

I’m glad to hear that. I read the book after I saw the trailer and I liked it lots, haunted by – we accept the love we think we deserve.Can’t wait to watch it.

6. Jackie Jones October 22, 2012 at 3:03 am #

How great to get this endorsement, as I decided to get it recently. but haven’t had the time to watch it yet. Will definitely look forward to it now :).