Relax & Read: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

28 Sep

I’m really excited to be recommending this truly touching novel as my first book recommendation. I’m a HUGE advocate of reading a novel BEFORE the movie adaptation, so I’m here to discuss the epistolary novel (which is a fancy way of saying it’s written in letter-format) and not the movie that’s released in one week everywhere. (Sometimes, I truly wished I lived in LA so I could go to these pre-screenings).

Before I ramble on forever—The Perks of Being a Wallflower is one of my favorite books. One of my reading friends (everyone needs those!) suggested it to me. I was skeptical at first, because the coming-of-age tale didn’t exactly excite me at the time (I had just gone to college, so I liked to lie to myself that I was beyond that), but I read it anyway, and I’m so thankful I did.

From the first page, I couldn’t put it down.

Stephen Chbosky is deeply talented, writing with a personal prose that intimately attaches everyone to the protagonist, Charlie—an observant young man who is conflicted about the rapidly changing world around him. I was entirely submerged in Charlie’s world of emotional questioning, and I tied myself to him as if he was genuinely my best friend.

Charlie is the magic of this novel—you will love him, cry for him, laugh with him, and feel as if every letter was indirectly written for you. “We are who we are for a lot of reasons…” and this uplifting tale delicately describes those reasons.

Throughout the novel, and even after finishing the novel, the reader will probably feel…infinite.

What are you waiting for? Happy reading!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

11 Responses to “Relax & Read: The Perks of Being a Wallflower”

1. tarnished space September 28, 2012 at 10:56 am #

I couldn’t agree more. Reading the novel is like being with Charlie. And you get to feel him, his predicament, his happiness, everything! Such a good novel!

2. shieram September 28, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

It’s also one of my favorite books. There’s just something about Charlie and the way he saw the world that pulls you in. I just finished watching the movie and I have to say that I loved him even more. He made me laugh and cry tonight. I hope you get to watch the movie soon. 🙂
    Thanks for dropping by, by the way.

• Shannon Thompson September 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

I hope I get to see it soon too! I’m very excites for October 5

3. library4delinquents September 28, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

You are so right – always read the novel before watching the film! Thanks for stopping by my blog 🙂

4. College Forever! September 28, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

I have read this at so many different times in my life and each time it has been relevant. I’m excited to see this as a movie!

5. Erin @ RiffsAndReviews September 28, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

It really is a wonderful book; I couldn’t agree more. I just discovered it a month ago, and am so anxious to see the movie!

6. molly September 30, 2012 at 9:06 am #

This is a novel that really hits you hard. I’m excited to see if the movie adaptation is as good! Since Stephen Chobsky also directed and wrote the screenplay, I’m assuming it’s faithful to the original.

• Shannon Thompson October 1, 2012 at 9:12 am #

I am too! I am very thankful when the author is so involved in the movie adaptation, because movies seem to go so wrong on so many levels when they aren’t.

7. Joycelyn October 4, 2012 at 12:26 am #

Shannon, I watched the movie yesterday with my Mom and sister. I was crying the whole time. I really loved the book and the movie. Wohooo! Charlie, Sam and Patrick forever! 🙂

8. filmhipster October 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Want to see the movie…the soundtrack looks great!