Relax & Read: The Mortal Instruments

2 Oct

Reading can get expensive sometimes! Especially when you LOVE writing inside the books like I do, because you have to own every one of them. But, hey, at least you get to keep them forever! (I think I may need a bigger bookshelf.)

Anyway…I thought I’d excite everyone by reminding them that the paperback version of Cassandra Clare’s City of Fallen Angels is released today.

If you haven’t checked out The Mortal Instruments series, I highly recommend them! Cassandra Clare is one of my favorite YA authors, and The Mortal Instruments series is also in the process of filming (so, if you need more encouragement, there you go!)

The first novel. City of Bones, dives right into the world of Shadowhunters when Clary, a young teenage girl, witnesses a strange murder. She unknowingly has the Sight (unlike us mundanes), and Jace, a young but capable warrior, wants to know why. After Clary’s mother is unexplainably kidnapped, Jace takes Clary under his wing (or arm) and exposes her to the world of demon hunting. Not only are demons real, but it turns out that everything else is too: werewolves, vampires, angels, fairies, and irresistible boys. (Maybe Jace? Hint. Hint.)

If you like everything paranormal, this series is for you.

Read more about the first book here.

Buy the paperback book here.

And obsess over the movie information here.

15 Responses to “Relax & Read: The Mortal Instruments”

1. changeforbetterme October 2, 2012 at 9:37 am #

I’ve read the series and am now reading the last one. I love this series! It’s exciting and the characters are nicely drawn. I also highly recommend this series!

• Shannon Thompson October 2, 2012 at 10:08 am #

I can’t wait for “City of Heavenly Fire.” I wish it came out sooner than March, 2014.

• changeforbetterme October 2, 2012 at 10:53 am #

Me too. It seems like a long time. By then I will have to re-read the others. Not such a hardship I suppose.

• Shannon Thompson October 2, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

Yes! And she’s also collaborating with another another (I believe Holly Black) to create an entire new shadowhunter series as well., but it doesn’t come out until 2014. However, the City of Bones movie is released in August of 2013.

2. jennnadams October 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

I loved the first four, just couldn’t put them down. I have been so busy that I didn’t notice there was a fifth book out. I know she wrote Clockwork Angel and it’s sequel. Wow! She is one busy writer! Love her work! Thanks for the post! Now I will have to go find the fifth book.

• Shannon Thompson October 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

“City of Lost Souls” is the fifth, and, yes, it’s already released. Also, “Clockwork Princess” will also be released soon, as it is the next after “Clockwork Angel.” “City of Heavenly Fire” (the sixth) won’t be released until much later, but I LOVED the fifth book, and I cannot wait!

• jennnadams October 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Oh wow! I’ll have to check those out as well! Thank you 🙂

• Shannon Thompson October 2, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

You’re welcome!

3. A J October 3, 2012 at 2:05 am #

I adore the Mortal Instruments series and have just started the Infernal Devices series too. I’m worried that the movie will not live up to the book as these movies-adapted-from-novels are generally like that. But I’ll probably do a re-read before watching it on the big screen though. It’s been years since I was introduced to Clary and Jace 🙂

• Shannon Thompson October 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

I am also very weary about the movie, but check out the movie website! It made me feel slightly better (and more excited) when I flipped through all the photos from the movie set.

4. Stefanie October 3, 2012 at 4:47 am #

Hey ! I love your blog! And thanks for following me 🙂

5. And Then There Was One November 15, 2012 at 9:53 am #

I’ve been meaning to read this series, and now after seeing all these comments I’ll be adding them to my list, can’t wait to start reading them!

1. Movie Mention: City of Bones « Shannon A Thompson - November 15, 2012

[…] how much I LOVE Cassandra Clare’s YA series, The Mortal Instruments (read about what I said here), and a movie adaptation comes out August 23, 2013. So, yes, I know this is WAYYY early, but I […]

2. Twilight FUNfiction #4 « The Twilight Fun Blog - November 16, 2012

[…] Relax & Read: The Mortal Instruments (shannonathompson.com) […]

3. Movie Mention: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones | Shannon A Thompson - August 24, 2013

[…] first mentioned The Mortal Instruments on October 2, 2012 on my post Relax & Read: The Mortal Instruments. Then I followed it up on November 15, 2012 when I realized it was being adapted into a movie, and […]