Website Wonders: Wattpad.com

3 Oct

I’ve officially had this website for one week now, and it’s been an adventure!

So far I’ve had over 1,000 hits and followers and lots of wonderful emails, asking questions and/or fellow writers wanting to know me. (If you’ve read my About Meย page then you know I LOVE talking to new people!). But I thought I’d thank you all by dedicating this post to one of my most frequently asked questions:

Where else can writers social network ?

There are quite a few places on the World Wide Web that allow writers to post their novels and get feedback, while all socializing and spreading their passion for reading and writing. However, one of my favorite websites for this is called Wattpad.com

Wattpad is a FANTASTIC place where writers can create a profile, tag genres, share stories, and provide fellow writers with their work. (You can also connect it to your Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr). You can ask for in-depth critiques, make friends, and even get book covers, fan art, and encouragement from your readers. And, if you just can’t get enough, there is an APP for your on-the-go cellphone needs.

Personally, I met some GREAT writers, including poets, who gave me unique and structural critique that I found very helpful.

Check it out here.

Check out my page here. (As of October 30, 2012, my site has been officially closed.)

I’m sure you’ll love your experience as much as I did.

18 Responses to “Website Wonders: Wattpad.com”

1. Laura Ritchie October 3, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

I am a Wattpad member, and enjoy hanging out there, although I don’t have time to visit often. I haven’t posted much of anything, but I enjoy reading the work of others, and have always tried especially to encourage young writers by offering positive feedback.

• Shannon Thompson October 3, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

As I said on your page, encouragement is something I respect and appreciate thoroughly ๐Ÿ˜€
      Also, I added the APP point to my entry, because I forgot to until we got to chatting on your page! Thanks for the reminder.

• Laura Ritchie October 3, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

You’re welcome! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. jennnadams October 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

Thank you for sharing this post! I’ve never heard of Wattpad until you had just mentioned it. I’ll go check it out. Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Shannon Thompson October 3, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

You’re very welcome! Sharing more networking opportunities can be very positive towards writers and readers who want more opinions without spending the money on editors and/or critiquers (and not having to rely on friends or family who may not be completely honest).

• jennnadams October 3, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

Yes, I completely agree. My grandma would say anything I write is great, even though I think it needs a little work. I have two friends, one has a degree to be my ‘junior editor’, read my work. But I do ask them to give me their honest opinion, even if it sounds harsh. I told them that it will prepare me for the real thing for when I have to hear it from a real editor. That actually worked for me!

• Shannon Thompson October 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

Exactly. Wonderful that you have a junior editor that can help you like that. I find that critique is a lot more help than someone just telling you how wonderful it is. When I worked with my first editor, I learned to LOVE the editing process. If there were “poorly written parts” I was able to fix them. If there were “wonderfully written parts” then I’d enhance them more and realize what was good and what wasn’t.

• jennnadams October 3, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

That’s awesome! You must have gotten a really great editor. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s good that you got the chance to experience that.

3. booklover217 October 3, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

Thanks for mentioning this. I haven’t heard of Wattpad until now and will definitely go explore it and see what it is about.

4. Jennifer Stuart October 3, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Very cool, I’m looking forward to checking this out!

5. Damian Rucci October 4, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Wow I never even heard of that before. Guess I’m going to sign up!

6. Lindsey Clarke October 4, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

I joined Wattpad too and have posted some work but haven’t yet had time to really browse the site but after reading your post I really need to! I’m also going to check out your page on there and become a fan ๐Ÿ™‚

7. cryoftheamazon October 8, 2012 at 9:29 am #

I am so excited to use Wattpad. I’ve never heard of it before. Although, I do have a question: is it safe to post entire works on that site?

• Shannon Thompson October 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

I would say so, yes. My experience with the site was very positive since everyone is a writer and respects other’s works

8. Stefanie October 31, 2012 at 2:42 am #

I’ll definitely check it out ๐Ÿ™‚ But I was wondering what made you delete your account on that site?

9. wordcoaster December 7, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

Thanks for sharing–I’ve opened an account. I don’t anticipate using it all that much, but it is always wonderful to have options. Thank you also for following my blog; i really appreciate it! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Shannon Summary: Ask Me Anything « Shannon A Thompson - October 30, 2012

[…] and readers that I have learned so much from. (If you havenโ€™t checked out Wattpad.com, click here to read my previous information on the […]

2. Wattpad: I Rejoined! | Shannon A Thompson - October 2, 2013

[…] exactly one year ago, I posted Website Wonders: Wattpad.com, and I discussed this wonderful […]