Website Wonders: Our E-Books

9 Nov

Win a signed copy of Minutes Before Sunset today

As a young-adult author, I am often focused on ways to inspire and help the youth. So that’s why I was completely on board when I learned about Our E-Books, and I wanted to share this website in the hopes that you might be, too.

Logo via OurE-books.com

Logo via OurE-books.com

Our E-Books is a website dedicated to creating a reading environment “where parents and children can come together and we encourage parents to use the site with their children. In addition, by making your child an Our E-Book Member, they will be able to return to this site and take a reading comprehension quiz on the book. What’s more, is that your child will be allowed to earn points based on their quiz score and can also win prizes!”

Basically, a child (or teen) can log in, take a quiz over a book they’ve read, and earn points to get other books for free. How fantastic is that? (I wish all books were like that.) Because Minutes Before Sunset is a young-adult novel, it is eligible for their website, and it’s now available as well as a quiz where readers can earn points!

I really encourage everyone to check websites like this out. After all, we want to encourage young people to keep reading. And, if you’re an author, you can add your novel to their bookshelf. But I should clarify something. “This site is recommended for ages 3-17.” Young-adult is encouraged, but New Adult (young-adult books with controversial themes) don’t qualify. “Your books cannot contain any inappropriate or strong language, including but not limited to profanity, sexual content and/or graphic material.” But you can contact them if you want to ask what they consider appropriate.

What do you think about websites like this? Do you know any websites like it?

If there are more websites directed at helping young readers, or readers in general, please let me know! I love sharing websites like this for both readers and writers.

10 Responses to “Website Wonders: Our E-Books”

1. Nicola Young November 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

Thanks for sharing. I will check this out.

2. Virtually All Sorts November 9, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

It can only be a good thing surely? Encouraging little ones and young people to read and then engage is a great idea.

3. Aussa Lorens November 9, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

What the heck– You look like Keri Russell! *jealous*
    Sorry… I’ve enjoyed a few sangrias… I’ll be back to check out your blog after I’ve slept this off. Cheers!

• Shannon Thompson November 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

Lol. You’re too kind. Love sangrias myself! There’s this place near me that makes Kiwi Sangrias. They are fantastic.

4. Susannah Ailene Martin November 9, 2013 at 11:08 pm #

Hey this is cool. I just finished a young adult novel. I might have to check this one out. Although, I have to wonder if they’d be okay with a book with a religious focus. Some companies don’t like that.

• Shannon Thompson November 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

I’m not sure about that, but I didn’t see anything against that. I’d just send them an email and ask. They really were just against extreme violence and/or sexual content.

5. campfireshadows November 10, 2013 at 7:46 am #

Shannon, Thanks for joining my blog. I know Westerns aren’t everyone’s cup a tea but it’s not so much about the gun slinging antics as it is the plot or story line. Some say I write too romantically. Hey, I love happy endings where boy meets girl, the ranch is saved and desperadoes get payback. I hope you have times to read a few of them. 🙂 JW

6. Aussa Lorens November 10, 2013 at 11:28 am #

Okay– this is pretty cool. I was an absolute nerd by the time I reached “young adult” status but I know that incentives for reading had a major impact on me when I was in elementary school– it is probably why I was able to eventually become such a nerd. This sounds like a great idea!