15 Responses to “The Five Emotional Stages of a Book Signing”

1. Nicholas C. Rossis October 4, 2014 at 5:14 am #

Congrats, it sounds really exciting! I’m sure that being a talented, lovely girl with free muffins and a big smile made the books fly off the shelves, even if the experience sounds a bit stressful. 🙂

• Shannon A Thompson October 4, 2014 at 1:10 pm #

Thank you! It was really exciting, and I am very grateful I got the opportunity to have one, especially while the weather is still manageable. Who knows? Maybe I can run experiments one day and not take muffins or not smile and count the numbers so I can report back on what works and what doesn’t? I have a feeling a frowning author with no freebies won’t be as fun. ;]

2. Val October 4, 2014 at 6:27 am #

Delightful blog, Shannon. Glad it was successful, including fun!

3. Charles Yallowitz October 4, 2014 at 7:08 am #

Congrats on the success. The holographic cat stickers sound like the hottest non-book item on the table.

I’m curious as to how many of each book you brought to the signing. I’m planning on running a vendor/signing table at a convention next April and I’m still trying to figure out how much I need of each book.

• Shannon A Thompson October 4, 2014 at 1:12 pm #

I basically brought every single copy I have at home, which I tend to have at least 10 of each sitting with me at all times. I guess I would rather have too many than not enough, so I would bring as many as you can (or even keep extra in the car just in case.) In the end, I think I brought 13 of Take Me Tomorrow, 14 of Minutes Before Sunset, and 9 of Seconds Before Sunrise.

4. Elle Klass October 4, 2014 at 7:26 am #

I lovr you sharing the experience. It sheds light on how to handle a public book event. Glad yours turned out as a success.

5. debyfredericks October 4, 2014 at 10:50 am #

Great that you covered this. Events are one of the things we writers don’t think about as part of our careers. And there’s debate about how useful they are in terms of strictly selling books. For me, it’s important to get out from behind my screen at times.

• Shannon A Thompson October 4, 2014 at 1:15 pm #

I completely agree! I think just getting out there can be great exposure (not to mention both fun and exciting for the author). Whether or not someone sold books, I would tell an author to try. I had a few people come in that didn’t buy books, but they took a bookmark and said they like Kindle copies, so who knows? They might buy those or they might tell their friends. One gentleman bought a book for his daughter, which I thought was really neat, but in the end, it was great encouragement, and I think that can be priceless for an author to experience a day meant for their words and stories.

6. Darrick Dean October 5, 2014 at 10:13 am #

Three years ago, I went to my first conference/book signing and didn’t know what to expect. I quickly found out it was a great experience talking and meeting with people, even with those who didn’t buy any books. A lot of authors seem to be relying on the internet for exposure, and while it is very important, I would encourage everyone to try the “old-fashioned” methods once in awhile. Like you said, it is fun. It also gets your book in front of more people. Never thought of giving out food though…good idea. Freebies are a must!

7. clifflkey October 8, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

I am so very happy for you! Congratulations. I am picking up these books immediately from B&N. I cannot wait to read them. 🙂 I am glad that despite some setbacks, your signing went well.

• Shannon A Thompson October 8, 2014 at 3:56 pm #

I hope you enjoy the reads! Thank you so much for your encouragement and support. ~SAT

8. Elizabeth Huff February 19, 2015 at 11:06 pm #

Reblogged this on The Well-Rounded Writer.

1. October Ketchup | Shannon A Thompson - October 30, 2014

[…] The Five Emotional Stages of a Book Signing: I had my first book signing in seven years, and I recorded every moment of emotional stress as […]