Thanksgiving

22 Nov

Happy Thanksgiving !!

As cliche as it sounds, be sure to take a moment today and remember what you’re thankful for. I know I am thankful for my loved ones and living.

But I have another challenge for readers and writers!

Think of your favorite novels and why you are grateful for them. What made you fall in love with the characters? How were you transported there? Why did you read past the first page?

Maybe, when you REALLY think about it, you will surprise yourself with the elements of writing you truly appreciate.

Again, Happy Thanksgiving, and safe travels,

7 Responses to “Thanksgiving”

1. Sandy Bucholtz November 22, 2012 at 11:28 am #

It‘s funny, I just blogged about the love I have for characters in my post “Mommy‘s Escape…the end of a beautiful affair“. It‘s so awe-inspring to me how authors have a way of leaving such a powerful impression through the characters they create. I wish I had that talent 🙂 Happy Thanksgiving!

2. BABYBOOMER johanna van zanten November 22, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

The character Remy, an orphan who was farmed out with a street performer in early French times stole my heart. His entourage of performing dogs and a monkey became my family for the duration of the substantial novel and afterwards. I think it was the first book that took me way and showed me the escape of the novel. It’s title was Alone in the World (Sans Famille) by Hector Malot in a Dutch translation. It moved me to tears and prepared my heart for those less fortunate than me in life. I am thankful for that discover in my youth.
    Johanna

3. P. C. Zick November 23, 2012 at 6:39 am #

Good question. The first one that came to mind was Holden in The Catcher in the Rye. I loved him, I hated him and I related to him. He’s timeless as Salinger captured universal human angst and the vulnerability of a young man who wants desperately to communicate but just doesn’t know how.

4. potterfan97 November 23, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

I am thankful to J.K.Rowling for writing the series (Harry Potter) that made me childhood magical.

• potterfan97 November 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

*my. I did not mean to just sound like a pirate.

5. danpentagram November 25, 2012 at 6:11 am #

It must be so nice to have a special holiday where everyone in America comes together – plus it must be a great start to the countdown of Christmas 🙂