Don’t Understand #MorallyComplicatedYA? Here’s Some Info.

25 Nov

Whoa! Shannon is posting outside her regularly scheduled posts. What?

Yes. I am. Because this is a big deal.

At first I was only going to share fellow YA female writers who have written morally complex novels that often included violence, but I understand more want actual info…which I will provide links to below. But, before that, here was my original post:

org

Many of you probably saw me lose my lid last night and all day today. I normally followed up my rants with #MorallyComplicatedYA. If you didn’t get involved, you still can. Basically, please share YA books with female protagonists who are morally complicated (so basically every character in existence), but please share books written by females. I don’t want to bring more attention to the author who basically dissed the entire YA industry, especially females in general, but it seems that it’s the only way to get people to fight back. Here are some articles for more information. Some discuss the actual events, others are reaction pieces, others explain the importance of this. Get involved. Bring attention to the right books.

First, the article that started it all:

YA Debut Gets Six-Figure Deal, Sold to 16 Territories

Now Victoria Avevard discussing why this is so upsetting:

What Are Your Thoughts on Scott Bergstrom?

Now some repercussions and harsh truths about the publishing industry:

If you enjoy a good book and you’re a woman, critics think you’re wrong.

Another sum-up to get you motivated again:

YA Author Criticizes Genre for Lack of Morally Complicated Books

Why we should be positive instead of negative:

In Which We Are Thankful For The Legacy of Others.

And books we SHOULD be reading and sharing:

17 Books That Prove YA is Morally Complicated

Share your favorite female authors. Share your favorite morally complicated books. Share your favorite YA series. Discuss it. Inform others. Bring attention to books that deserve it.

Here are some of my FAVORITE #MorallyComplicatedYA novels written by females.

mor

The Conjurer’s Riddle by Andrea Cremer: The second book in The Inventor’s Secret series expands the world to the rebellion, showing that everything and everyone Charolette has fought for might not be good after all. This includes her family, her friends, and the losses in between…and she might have to fight everything she knows without understanding why.

A History of Glitter and Blood by Hannah Moskowitz: This terrifying tale revolves around a bloody war. Racism, prostitution, and cannibalism are discussed numerous times, and not everything is morally black and white.

The Winner’s Crime by Marie Rutkoski: The second book in The Winner’s Trilogy, Kestrel also finds herself making personal sacrifices surrounding her own happiness and family in order to keep a country together that might not be well-intended.

The White Rose by Amy Ewing: My current read, also the second book in The Lone City. Violet must disrupt a rebellion she knows nothing about in order to follow her gut and save friends.

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare: The second book in The Infernal Devices follows Tess as she is pulled between family, loss, new friends, and a lack of identity in a violent world.

19 Responses to “Don’t Understand #MorallyComplicatedYA? Here’s Some Info.”

1. moonstonemaiden November 25, 2015 at 10:42 pm #

I must have missed all the hullabaloo today but I just read that first article and wow, just wow! Not cool. Dissing the work of other celebrated authors and basically an entire genre is probably not the way to sell a book, especially to girls lol. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!!! #MorallyComplicatedYA 😀

• Shannon A Thompson November 26, 2015 at 9:18 pm #

Exactly! It’s one thing to talk about why you love your story, but you should never put the works of others’ down while doing so. Build yourself up; don’t take others down. Thank you for reading and commenting.

• moonstonemaiden November 26, 2015 at 9:20 pm #

You’re welcome of course 😀

2. estyree November 25, 2015 at 11:21 pm #

And if you want some that are slightly less well known or possibly slightly less intense but still feature strong and occasionally morally questionable female leads, Rachel Caine’s Morganville Vampire Series has a few amazing female leads that do what they have to do!

• Shannon A Thompson November 26, 2015 at 9:18 pm #

Always love suggestions! Thank you for reading and commenting.

3. Barbara Barbex November 26, 2015 at 3:41 am #

Reblogged this on The 960 Writers and commented:
    This is all so infuriating, it makes me want to punch someone! Women have been here and writing since forever and then some man swoops in and thinks he’s going to “fix” the genre? What a privileged, pretentious move.

• Shannon A Thompson November 26, 2015 at 9:18 pm #

Thank you for bringing more attention to this issue by sharing and discussing your thoughts. 😀

4. Cristina November 26, 2015 at 8:40 am #

Reblogged this on Crazy Beautiful Reads.

5. citygirlscapes November 26, 2015 at 8:50 am #

Great post, thanks for all the extra information and the article links. I definitely saw this growing on social media, but wasn’t really sure where it all started. Appreciate the info! – ashley

• Shannon A Thompson November 26, 2015 at 9:19 pm #

Thank you for reading! I’m glad you enjoyed all of the information as much as I did.

6. frasersherman November 26, 2015 at 2:10 pm #

Dumpy schoolgirl becomes lean and (I’m guessing) sexy? Yes, that pretty much screams complexity and deep themes.

• Shannon A Thompson November 26, 2015 at 9:22 pm #

Not to mention defining ANY girl as “not like those OTHER girls.” A statement like that is insulting to all women and girls out there. We are human. We are all valuable, cheerleader or warrior, lean or “slightly overweight,” or anything else he mentioned in a negative light.
      Thank you for reading and commenting!

7. caseyschreyer November 28, 2015 at 6:19 pm #

I know Pullman is male but is Dark Materials books has a YA female protag who is very deep, a female antag who is complicated, talented, and devious, and a female back-up who is smart and caring.

• Shannon A Thompson November 28, 2015 at 6:20 pm #

I think male writers are great! I love Rick Yancey for instance. The only reason I focused on female authors here was because they were the ones who got kicked under the bus. But I love your suggestion! Thank you!

1. November Ketchup | Shannon A Thompson - November 30, 2015

[…] 1. Don’t Understand #MorallyComplicatedYA? Here’s Some Info: A trending topic I immediately got myself involved with via Twitter, Facebook, and my website. This covered an enraging article, as well as many authors’ reactions, and why situations like this need to be acknowledged, so we can make a change in the publishing industry. […]

2. Cryptoquote Spoiler – 01/21/16 | Unclerave's Wordy Weblog - January 21, 2016

[…] Don’t Understand #MorallyComplicatedYA? Here’s Some Info. (shannonathompson.com) […]

3. Morally complicated Y/A and other writing and media links (#SFWApro) | Fraser Sherman's Blog - January 24, 2016

[…] yes, it is, one reason why I’m rolling my eyes at Bergstrom’s self-assessment (Shannon Thompson and Victoria Aveyard do too in different ways). The Hunger Games books are all about having to […]