Publishing Tips: Introduce Extras

6 Apr

25 days until the Minutes Before Sunset release.

When I posted Shannon Summary: Six Months In, I received a lot of inquiries about how to bring more readers to your blog and/or novels. I thought about this for a while, and I’ve come to a lot of conclusions, but one of them in particular kept repeating itself: connect with our readers.

I spend a lot of my free time reading other blogs (Twitters and Facebook pages too). In order to connect with readers, I never expect them to find me. I go to them, and I prove that I care. I think this is really important, because then there is a connection between the writer and the reader (especially if they are a writer too.)

So what can you do once you get passed that step?

Create opportunities.

Like my cover contest for Minutes Before Sunset, I try really hard to involve my readers with my writings (because, ultimately, it is for them.) But I understand if others aren’t comfortable with that. So I thought about other things, and I came up with this idea (mainly because a lot of published authors actually have pages like this themselves) and decided to do it myself.

My Facebook Author Page is over 150 likes too :]

My Facebook Author Page is over 150 likes too :]

Create an “Extras” page for your novels and/or writings. This allows reader to see Fan Art and/or anything you’ve created while writing. You can also add possible soundtracks, along with anything else you find enhancing towards the experience of your novel. I think it’s important to have pages like this, because it can be further entertainment for your readers while also giving the opportunity of teaching your writing methods.

I’ve added “Extras” pages for November Snow & Minutes Before Sunset. (Click the links to see them.)

These pages will include Interior/Exterior Maps, Soundtracks, and Fan Art (along with anything else I think will enhance the experience of the novel and writing tips.) Whenever I add something new, I’ll be sure to post an announcement on my blog and Facebook Author Page.

So check it out (and if you have anything you’d like to see, let me know, and I’ll add it!)

April 8: Relax & Read: The Unmemntioable by Erin Moure

As an "extra" to my life: I have a collection of frogs. Don't ask me why, because I honestly have no clue. People seem to buy them for me, and this is my most recent one (of 6). He's from Puerto Rico.

As an “extra” to my life: I have a collection of frogs. Don’t ask me why, because I honestly have no clue. People seem to buy them for me, and this is my most recent one (of 6). He’s from Puerto Rico.

22 Responses to “Publishing Tips: Introduce Extras”

1. Tuan Ho April 6, 2013 at 12:42 am #

That frog statue is EPIC.

You should do an equally epic post on your frog collection. lol

• Shannon Thompson April 6, 2013 at 10:58 am #

LOL I’m not sure what I’d say about them, but it’d definitely be a fun challenge.

2. rbdavis5 April 6, 2013 at 12:43 am #

good advice! thanks

3. sarahcradit April 6, 2013 at 1:40 am #

I might borrow your idea about the cover contest. I paid for my cover for St. Charles at Dusk, and while I think it looks awesome, I’m not sure if I can afford to do that 12 or 13 more times for the rest of the books! Thanks for the suggestions!

4. Rosie Amber April 6, 2013 at 2:30 am #

Some brilliant advice here, good luck with the new book.

5. Jay Dee April 6, 2013 at 6:17 am #

Great advice. In fact, I’ll be doing some big extras for my upcoming books. An entire encyclopedia of the world I’ve created, updated as I write. I’ll include artwork I’ve done, as well as maps. Sometimes the world creation is just as fun to work on.

6. Jay Dee April 6, 2013 at 6:19 am #

Reblogged this on I Read Encyclopedias for Fun and commented:
    I really like this advice. I need to work more on connecting with other bloggers through blogs, but the extras thing is something I am going to do a lot of.

7. feltenk April 6, 2013 at 6:26 am #

Thanks for sharing!

8. Olivia Stocum April 6, 2013 at 7:22 am #

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I’m releasing my first novel this summer. Biting my nails…

9. spearman101 April 6, 2013 at 8:26 am #

You are amazing. I’m a new writer and I appreciate your information and experience. I’m learning so much along the way.

10. Papizilla April 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Reblogged this on The Ranting Papizilla and commented:
    Good ideas people! Check it out!

11. Jevon April 6, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

Engagnement with your readers is real important. I was also playing with the idea of having an extra page for my first novel so thanks for confirming this.

12. mandilynnwrites April 6, 2013 at 8:20 pm #

One of the most time consuming things of self-publishing and gaining followers is finding your readers. Haha I didn’t think I knew what I was getting into! But I’ve never thought about an Extras page, it’s a good idea 🙂

13. raimyd April 7, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

Really useful ideas, thanks for sharing. 🙂

14. alesiablogs April 7, 2013 at 11:25 pm #

Thank you so much for following my blog. YOU are a beautiful young lady. Looking forward to checking your blog out and I see you are a writer! How cool is that?!

• Shannon Thompson April 8, 2013 at 12:19 am #

Thank you :] Love being a writer. Looking forward to your blog as well,

15. SoundOfLaughter April 14, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Thank you for the advice and congratulations on being a signed author!

16. Ky Grabowski June 2, 2013 at 10:45 pm #

Reblogged this on Ky Grabowski and commented:
    One of my favorite advice pieces from the charming Shannon Thompson! Check her out guys and her new published book Minutes Before Sunset!

1. #MondayBlogs Authors, Add Extras to Books | Shannon A Thompson - May 23, 2016

[…] Original posted April 6, 2013 […]