Why I Won’t Give Up

18 Jun
This is my favorite photo of my mother, and I share it on my video.

This is my favorite photo of my mother, and I share it on my video.

WEBSITE UPDATE: If you all recall, Minutes Before Sunset needed nominations for “Book of the Month” on Goodreads, and you all succeeded! But I need votes. PLEASE VOTE BY CLICKING THE LINK. We’re three votes away from first place. I need all of the support I can get 😀

Thank you for voting: Gregory S. LambChristina ChannelleAmber ForbesBob WilliamsMarie BaileyLaura B., Raymond, Silver WolfChristieKristy Feltenberger GillespieDale SpillerDan PawlowskiPeter JohnTuan HoRaul Diaz, Nada Faris, Chris, Jessica, Merilyn Dignum, Andree, Charles E. Yallowitz, Vickie Kayuk, KerriSarah, Ky Grabowski, David Thompson, Chris the Story Reading Ape, and Hereswhatsgoingon, !  (I’ll add your site here when you vote too!)

This post was inspired by Ky Grabowski, a writer and reader I mentioned on my last post: Published Paperback & Spotlight Interview. On June 7, 2013, Ky blogged Why I Won’t Give Up, and her story inspired me to share mine. So I shot a video explaining details of my life I haven’t released before, and I’ve added a link below. I’ve also added quotes to give you an idea of what it’s about, but there’s a file to open the text if you prefer to read. It’s four pages long or I would’ve posted it directly onto my site.

Quotes from my “Why I Won’t Give Up” Video:

• You know every day you’ll have a moment of doubt. Every day. But you’ll also have hours of happiness and encouragement and people who believe in you and people you believe in. And it’s worth it again. It’s always—it’s worth it. Everything is worth it.
  • When I was sitting here and I was looking at this, I was thinking “How many people dream of this?” “How long have I dreamed of this?” “What do I still dream of?” I dream of getting people to this point. I dream of people being able to look at this: their words on a printed page, their name on a binding, their picture on the back of a book. This is what I dream of for others. That’s why I don’t stop.
  • My dream is why I continue. I continue for others. My dream is for others.
When "November Snow" was published, my father surprised me with this gift: the printed cover inside a silver frame.

When “November Snow” was published, my father surprised me with this gift: the printed cover inside a silver frame.

Watch the video by clicking this link or read the text by clicking the file: Video Text

"November Snow" was originally titled "It's Only a Matter of Time" and this is the original burnt file.

“November Snow” was originally titled “It’s Only a Matter of Time” and this is the original burnt file.

Specifically speaking, I talk about my nightmares and night terrors in detail, explaining an in-between place that inspired most of my novels today. I also talk about my mother’s inspiration and how her sudden death effected my life. I share a lot of information about November Snow I haven’t had a chance to talk about before, and I compare those details to being published in the poetry collection dedicated to my late roommate. In the end, I discuss my ultimate goal in life, which isn’t to become a famous author, but rather to open an affordable art school for talented young adult to be able to connect with professionals in their field.

"November Snow" "Poets: a collection of twelve young Kansas poets" & "Minutes Before Sunset." My publications that push me forward to continue chasing the dream.

“November Snow” “Poems: a collection of twelve young Kansas poets” & “Minutes Before Sunset.” My publications that push me forward to continue chasing the dream.

I truly summed up the video compared to the original explanation, but I did this, because I really hope others will share why they won’t give up. Towards the end I said this: “I hope other people analyze their dreams on a deeper level to see if they’re actually dreaming for themselves or if they’re dreaming for another reason entirely.” What I mean by this: we may have the dream to be an author, but what’s beyond that? Even if the answer is to share your words (and themes) with the world, you’re dreams are beyond what I think we might realize on a regular basis.

So take time today. Think about your ultimate goals when it comes to writing (or goals in general) and feel free to share. By sharing this post, I’m hoping to keep this topic going within the writing community. Share your story below or post on another blog altogether. Let’s inspire others together 😀

29 Responses to “Why I Won’t Give Up”

1. kayuk June 18, 2013 at 12:11 am #

May baring of your soul put your nightmares to sleep..

• kayuk June 18, 2013 at 2:44 am #

BTW, thanks for the link. I voted for Minutes Before Sunset. I enjoyed the book very much.

• Shannon Thompson June 18, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

Thank you, Kayuk! I’ll be sharing more sites of voters soon 😀 And I am very happy you enjoyed Minutes Before Sunset.

• Shannon Thompson June 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

I’ve learned to mainly love them when they happen now, but writing did keep them from happening to regularly, I think.

2. ritterstories June 18, 2013 at 2:02 am #

Thank you for sharing. I hope I’m one day brave enough to ‘not give up’ every day. I like you dedication to writing and other writers, and your general outlook on life.

• Shannon Thompson June 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Thank you :] I hope the every day dedication comes easily and quickly for you. You’re very kind.

3. Charles Yallowitz June 18, 2013 at 6:08 am #

Reblogged this on Legends of Windemere and commented:
    Please vote for Minutes Before Sunset for “Book of the Month” on Goodreads.

4. L. Marie June 18, 2013 at 9:49 am #

I voted for you!!

5. cwasko9 June 18, 2013 at 11:18 am #

Just added my vote. Best of luck!

6. nancyrae4 June 18, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Thanks for the inspiration, Shannon. After completing one novel, I still find myself with doubt, or, on a good day, with excitement. But, why do I continue – because I want to tell my stories in the hope others will enjoy them as much as I do. Deeper than that? You’ve given me something to think about!

• Shannon Thompson June 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

Thank you for reading :] And I hope your completed novel brings you undoubtable success soon. In terms of thinking about that deep deeper, it can simply be what do you want readers of your novel to come away with? I think that’s where a lot of people realize it isn’t just the story, but the encouragement of imagination (for example.)

7. gypsysapphire June 18, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

Hi, I put my vote in. I hope you win. Will check the book when I get to Dubai for my monthly books shopping. More power to you.

• Shannon Thompson June 19, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Thank you! I really appreciate it. Hope you enjoy the novel.

• gypsysapphire June 19, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

You’re welcome. I am very excited to get a copy of it and will sure share my thoughts after I read it. 🙂

• Shannon Thompson June 19, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Let me know when you do, and I’ll share your review on ShannonAThompson.com along w other sites. I hope you enjoy it!

8. 1WriteWay June 18, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

Reblogged this on 1WriteWay and commented:
    Help Shannon win first place at Goodreads!

9. Ky Grabowski June 18, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

This made me smile so much 😀
    I adore you ❤ 🙂

Congrats on everything hun!
    Can't wait to see what the future brings =)

xo

10. Pecora Nera June 19, 2013 at 1:58 am #

Voted 🙂

11. The Story Reading Ape June 19, 2013 at 7:04 am #

Voted on your book Shannon, you now have 30 votes (16.9%) 🙂

• Shannon Thompson June 19, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

O_O Thank you! That’s awesome. I’m up one more. Thank you for helping me hit 30.

12. Camilla Kyndesen June 19, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

A very thought-inspiring post – thank you. I have to say, I like the way the photo of your mother in this post matches your photo in the right sidebar 🙂

FYI, I nominated you for the Wonderful Team Member Readership Award: http://writingwordsonapage.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/wonderful-team-member-readership-award/

• Shannon Thompson June 19, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Aw thank you. Your words are so kind. :] And I’m flattered to have the nomination. That’s very sweet.

13. chilltowntv July 5, 2013 at 1:22 am #

Thanks for the follow, Shannon! I really liked this post. I think I spend an equal amount of time thinking about giving up and sticking with it. It’s a really hard road but the highs of accomplishing something are so great, it eggs you on (well, eggs me on!) Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

14. The Constant Scholar July 7, 2013 at 2:44 am #

I love this: “I dream of getting people to this point. I dream of people being able to look at this: their words on a printed page, their name on a binding, their picture on the back of a book. This is what I dream of for others. That’s why I don’t stop.
    My dream is why I continue. I continue for others. My dream is for others.”

That is such a beautiful thing to say and feel and dream for others. I adore and admire your dream 😊

• Shannon Thompson July 7, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

Shucks :] Thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I am working really hard to get there one day! It’s encouraging to hear such kind words from you.